Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend

Nelson and I didn´t go to Lomas on Saturday morning after all. The Jesheni kids were busy with other activities (work) and couldn´t be there. Eliza (my host mom) and Nelson (host dad) still went to work while I stayed at home and caught up on some sleep. Later in the afternoon Tanya (my host sister) arrived at the house and asked me if I wanted to go with her to pick up Eric (her amor). We met him at a mall in San Miguel and decided to go shop for a birthday gift for Nelson. We found a pretty nice sweater to buy for him and then we got a call that Nelson jr. was coming to meet us at the mall. We looked around some more, got some ice cream, and then left to pick up Eliza and Nelson from work. Once all six of us were packed into the car (plus all of the things we bought) we went out to a restaurant to celebrate Nelson´s birthday. Yesterday I went with Tanya and my host mom and dad to Port Callao here in Lima. It was a beautiful day because the sun came out and burned off almost all of the marine layer. The homes near the port were very beautiful and old looking. As we walked, Nelson told me stories about pirates that used to sack the port over and over again until one day an unnamed pastor took it upon himself to shoot and kill the leader of the pirates. The way this story was described made it sound like the pastor took aim at the pirate leader from the shore and essentially sniped him as he stood on his ship waiting in the port. It is known as the miracle of Santa Rosa because Santa Rosa went inside of a church close to the port to pray while most of the other townspeople fled to the mountains. The story says that she prayed that a miracle would occur and the pirates would leave once and for all. I guess it worked. Today I worked on some more articles for the Uniendo Manos folks and now I´m spending the rest of the day preparing for my first English class tomorrow in Lomas. I have never taught English before so I am a little nervous about it but I also think that it will be a lot of fun.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Sounds like fun Michael. Too bad you didn't take any pictures of the Port!

Anonymous said...

You should get some cool photos up here, so we (your followers) can see the view.

Michael said...

check em out!

Laurie said...

I can't get into see the pictures cuz I'm not your friend.

Anonymous said...

and i can't get in to see them because im not your friend either, and i can't look at facebook at work.

Michael said...

What? We´re facebook friends so you should be able to see them already.