Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Roosters

The six of us YAVs arrived in Lima late Tuesday night the 2nd of September. We were warmly welcomed by our host families and site coordinator Debbie Horn. We fit ourselves into my family´s Nissan pickup truck and on the ride to my new house I got to know my new family: my father Nelson, mother Eliza, sister Tanya, and brother Nelson jr. I talked some awhile longer with the family and tried some Peruvian candy when we arrived at the house. They told me that Peruvians are known for loving sweets. It was getting late (around 1:30 am) so I went to bed. The next morning I was awoke early to an unexpected sound. There was barely a trace of light coming through the window when I heard several roosters crowing! I have since gotten used to them and am able to sleep through their noise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! cock-a-doodle-doo brotha! sounds like you are getting comfortable. that's good to hear. I'm glad you've posted on this thing. I sent you an email on your GVC account. You can post pictures on here too. check out my blog at www.andrewsontherun.blogspot.com
It's about whatever, but mostly running and stuff with Michael. You better keep up your running down there. Michael and I both have bad Runner's Knee. I'm glad to hear you actually alive and doing well. Keep up with the newsbytes about roosters or whatever! Later Mike

The Presbytery of Des Moines said...

Roosters... Hah, did you tell them you knew of them from Iowa farms? Too bad we don't see them in Des Moines much;o) Great blog Michael - I look forward to many more entries! -Kim

Michael said...

Wow, I found a bunch of gramatical errors in that blog after reading again! It´s weird but being in an all Spanish environent is actually negatively affecting my ability to both speak and write in English, I even struggle sometimes to remember certain English words to describe things. So anyway, bear with me in that area. Andrew I will definitely check out your blog! Mike told me about your knees but hang in there and run hard tomorrow at Grinnell!

Kim,
I did tell them about the roosters on the farms in Iowa! Haha, try to spread the word if you can about my blog as I will try to do a better job of posting as regularly as possible! I start my postition at the radio station (Dia del Pueblo) on Monday and assume that I will have more time to blog there where I will have easy access to computers all day.

Thanks for both of your comments!

Mike

Laurie said...

Hi Michael,

Try to take your camera everwhere you go and take pictures! They would be great for the blog.

Love ya,
Mom

p.s. Next weekend is Fall Fest in good ole Beaverdale