Monday, February 23, 2009

My Birthday and More

My last post was written on Valentines Day. Not too long after I wrote that blog I was robbed on a street corner. It was a pretty busy street corner and I was changing buses when I was approached by a choro (theif) who asked me for my cell phone. I figured I was being robbed and became nervous so my only response to him was "¿What?, ¿What?, ¿What do you want?" over and over again. That made him angry so he pulled out a knife and started yelling at me, "Carajo dame tu cellular o quieres que yo corte la cara?" something to the effect of "give me your cell phone or would you rather I cut your face?" Naturally I gave him the phone at which point he hesitated for a second and looked around (as if he were considering whether it would be advantageous for him to ask more from me) and finally told me to keep walking straight and not look back nor come back to where he was. I broke his first rule by looking back at him almost the entire time as I walked away from him (there was no way I was turning my back on a knife). Though I was pretty mad at him as I walked away, I also felt a lot of relief and almost broke into a smile. The reason was because I was carrying about 170 soles with me at the time which is roughly 60 dollars (worth more than the phone). Well, he didn´t get away with that at least (and I get to keep my uncut face). There´s nothing like being robbed on Valentines Day, or as it is sometimes referred to here, Dia de Amistad (Day of friendliness or friendship).

The next day (Sunday) the family and I went to Chosica to visit the relatives. Unfortunately it´s wintertime in Chosica now which means it can be dark and rainy. That day it began to rain strongly as we arrived and soon there was a huayco running through the city. A huayco is sort of like a small river that runs down the side of the mountain and through the streets carrying mud and rocks from the mountain with it. This huayco happened to cross through the city in such a way that made it impossible for anyone to travel to Lima. Since we were trapped in Chosica, the cousins and I decided to walk down to where the huayco was crahing through to see what it was like. There were a lot of people standing around watching the water rush by and there were boulders that had been carried down from the mountain as well. I realized that the people crowded around the water in the street were wanting to cross this small river even though it was dangerous and there were security people holding back the crowd while a large digger machine worked to try and remove some of the sediment. After some time passed the crowd became restless and finally overpowered the security personell by running into the huayco at the same time. We stayed and watched the people crossing. Of course some slipped and fell (completely soaking themselves) while others only lost sandals. Mothers with babies in their arms were crossing with the help of some police officers that had arrived. The rain eventually let up and we were able to cross the street in the truck and travel back to Lima that night.

Thursday I attended my first ever live futbol match. It was a fun event. I think most people who love sports tend to take it seriously when their team is matched against a rival. In this case there were a ton of police officers and army officials at the stadium to keep the order. The crowd was excited, there were kids lobbing water balloons at the opposing players on the field, there was some kind of riot occurring on the right side of the stadium and several cops chasing people with their batons, and at one point two smoke bombs were lobbed onto the field by angry fans. Fortunately our team won.

Yesterday was my birthday and we celebrated by spending the day at the beach. One of my uncles owns a house in Ancon, a beach area north of Lima, and it so happended that all of last week my extended family from Chosica were staying there. Sunday my immediate family and I joined the rest of the family there for the day to enjoy the beach as well as some of my favorite foods. My host dad Nelson prepared this excellent shrimp soup that is one of my favorite dishes here. We took it with us to the beach house and shared it with all the family. Then I was presented with two delicious ice cream cakes while everyone sang happy birthday to me (first in English, then in Spanish as is the custom here). The ice cream cakes were delicious but then things got even better as we were driving back home that night. Since it was my birthday I was able to choose where we would go out to eat, and I chose Pizza Hut. Many of you will probably read this and wonder why I would ever chose Pizza Hut for my birthday dinner. I say, go live in a foreign country and eat a pound of white rice everyday for several months straight and then you might discover what a true delicacy a deliciously greasy pizza from Pizza Hut is. That night I had left over shrimp soup with my pizza. It was one of the best nights ever.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you blogging more often. I told Ken at church about your robbery. He was really glad to know that you're OK. We were at Shrove Tuesday last night. Bacon, pancakes and whipped cream for dinner. Great nutrition! My biggest problem was that you weren't there to go get me seconds and thirds.

Anonymous said...

Too bad you haven't kept up your running...or else you could have turned and run an 8k! Chances are the stupid choro couldn't put down a 27:00 time. But I'd rather you be cell phoneless than faceless. Now if we were together and that happened, we woulda taken his cell phone, wallet and knife! Glad you're alright. It made me nervous reading that post though.
Glad you had a good birthday too.

"Then I was presented with two delicious ice-cream cakes." Very funny! I can't wait til you come back and eat real food again. That'll be real fun!

I kinda see where you're coming from about the Pizza Hut too. I have cravings for chicken and beef every now-and-again. But you're case is way more extreme.

Take care

The Presbytery of Des Moines said...

I think I'll post the birthday celebration in the Wider Circle newsletter if that's okay with you. Also, I want the recipe for the shrimp soup!

Be careful from now on - being robbed is not a episode you probably want to repeat;o) -Kim