Monday, December 15, 2008

Cutra

Nothing too exciting has happened to me recently here in Perú. So I´ll write about an event that I notice is ocurring more often as Nelson and I travel between the house here in San Martín de Porres and Lomas de Carabayllo. It is called "cutra" and is slang for an action similar to what we would call a bribe in the States. The police set themselves up along certain parts of the Pan Americana Highway (and other areas all over the city, but in our case we are frequently stopped on the highway). We always travel home from Lomas in a Combis since it is the most available transportation at that time of night. So there are many combis and taxis pulling up to bus stops along the side of the road and then taking off again during the route and it is not uncommon to be drawn into one of the police traps. I sometimes feel like I can sense everyone in the combis holding their breath as we approach the band of police; we are all waiting to see if our combis will be called out. So on those occaisions when we are called out the police simply blow their whistles and wave their hands to us in a "pull over" motion which the driver acknowledges (or doesn´t and dashes away behind some giant truck placed perfectly between the police and us as we pass) and we come to a stop at the side of the road. Usually a male officer approaches and is sometimes demanding although most of the time he is not. The driver presents his papers, the cop may search the vehicle where the passengers are, on rare occaisions he asks the passengers for their documents (although he only selects certain passengers), and eventually we are allowed to pass. Not, however, before the driver slips the cop a little money (usually the equivalent of $1-$5). I think everybody hates it when this happens because of the inconvenience it causes more than for any other reason. The first few times I witnessed this "cutra" process I felt angry at the police for acting in a way that seemed to do nothing for the people they are suppose to be protecting. Back then I assumed that the other passengers in the van felt the same way. However, I now view the "cutra" as a time wasting event that usually takes place at an inconvinient hour of the night. To put a positive spin on the "cutra", I simply think of it as an effective speed bump placed somewhere in the middle of an oftentimes too speedy van ride home. Perhaps in that way, the police really are protecting us all (they just need a little bonus for doing so)!

On an entirely unrelated note, I just purchased a "surtido" across the street and I´m pretty sure the lady put beets in it. I thought a "surtido" was made only with fruit (a fruit juice) but I know there was beets in that one because you never forget a taste like that of beets!

12 comments:

Michael said...

Have you ever been on a Combis with a driver who did not pay the policia?

Also, what is a surtido?

Michael said...

Nope. They always pay up, unless the checkpoint is real and the cop is honest, which sometimes happens. A surtido is a fruit juice smoothie here where they combine all the fruit they have available to make the juice. I guess that because beets are sort of sweet they sometimes choose to add them to the mix. This definitely ruins the experience in my opinion.

Laurie said...

I was in the gift shop at church last Sunday and I found a little xmas ornament that was a little bus with Adios written on the front. We decided it was like a combi so I bought it & when I went to pay for it the lady noticed that it was made in Peru. It will be a souvineer for you because you would never buy it there and it helps the artisans there.

Laurie said...

It's snowing here and 3 degrees this morning. Don't you wish you were here?

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, the last bit of arrangements are being made before some new ones role in and I am getting hassled big time, from the girl.
The question I need to know is...are you with out a doubt, positive, and sure that you will be back at least by Thursday - July 30, 09; so you can be up in Okoboji by the next day, Friday July 31?

Michael said...

I would say that I'm about 75% sure that I will be in the usa on the 30th. the plan as of now is for us to leave peru the 29th (that what I was told as of yesterday). Still, I've had other schedules changed around on me here so its hard for me to say with total certainty that I will be home the 30th. And I definitely do not want to screw up your wedding by not being there, not to mention I really want to be there and am honored by your invitation to participate. So, most likely I will be home the 30th but I can't gaurantee it unfortunately. I talked to my site coordinator recently and will be communicating with her about it again soon (today I think). Also, I will try to give you a call.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. But realistically, if I had it my way, you would come back tomorrow, but I can't do real magic... unfortunatly. What are your plans for the season down there again? You're meeting up with the YAV crew right? Hey how could I get your address down there? Do you want to send it via email or something?

Laurie said...

Feliz Navidad Miguel y Figueroa's!

from Mom, Dad, Elyse & Ellie

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Mike! We hope you're having a great time. Enjoy every minute of it!
-andrew and hill

Anonymous said...

looking forward to reading your next post Mike! hope you're doing well.

Laurie said...

Yes Michael, I wish you would continue your blog. We all enjoy hearing about how you're doing. We would like to see recent photos you've taken.
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

yes yes! or have you forgotten english already? jk! but really, i'd like to know more about the adventures of mike in lime