Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween, El Día de Los Muertos, Earthquakes, etc.

Greetings,

Yesterday marks two months that I have been in Lima and today marks the final day of campaigning for Barack Obama and John McCain! That means, for most of the readers of this blog, that you won’t have to suffer through any more campaign TV ads! Personally, I miss seeing those ads and feeling the intensity from the campaigns as we near the close tomorrow. Being so far removed from the States means that I have to be proactive and search out news about the candidates, the polls, their slogans, ads, strategies, etc. Anyway, I am very excited to see how things turn out tomorrow!

Friday was Halloween and I missed it. However, I got to see the way that the Limeñas do Halloween. The kids dress up in costumes just like in the U.S. only instead of going door to door the parents take their kids to the malls where the stores give out candy. It’s really a win-win because it is safer and the stores get a lot people coming to shop there while their kids take candy (plus it creates a party atmosphere at the mall which was fun).

This weekend Perú celebrated El Día de Los Muertos (The Day of the Dead). The actual day was Saturday, and is marked by people going out of their homes to visit their dead loved ones in the cemetery. Because the holiday fell on Saturday, it provided us with a true (American style) two day weekend (in Perú the only day of rest is Sunday). So the family and I travelled to Chosica to celebrate this event with Eliza´s extended family. We left early Saturday morning to arrive in time for breakfast in Chosica (they prepared tamales that were so good that I now like tamales). In the afternoon Nelson, Tía Adela, my Abuelita (Grandmother) and I went to the cemetery to visit the grave site of my Abuelita´s brother. I noticed by the dates that he had died when he was only seven years old. The cemetery was unlike any cemetery I’ve ever visited. The tombs were vertical and made of cement. They appeared like walls marked with uniform indentations where the names of the dead are written and where flowers are left each year on this day. We too purchased flowers to place on the ledge of the tomb where Gregorio lies.

We returned to the house to eat lunch (cabrito, baby goat, again) and about half way through the meal the house started to shake a little bit. I thought it must have been a large truck passing by on the street in front of the house. Nelsito, my host brother, knew better and was the first one up from the table ready to take action (though I´m still not sure exactly what are the procedures for earthquake safety. I understand that door frames are safer places). The earthquake (more of a strong tremor really) was pretty much over before it began. It lasted only a few seconds but was string enough to rattle the chandelier above the table which was what clued me into this event being more than just a large truck passing by. Everyone began talking about earthquakes after this. They were asking me if it was the first I had ever experienced (it was) and whether or not I was afraid (not really). One of my many Tías called someone back in Lima to ask if they had felt it. They said that in Lima it was felt much stronger but that it still was not quite strong enough to cause people to leave the house. We turned on the news which confirmed that the epicenter had been in Lima. The earthquake might have been the best part of the whole weekend really (and it was a super fun weekend)! The reason is because, according to Peruvians, an earthquake like that signals the end of one season and the start of another (in our case, the end of winter/spring and the beginning of summer). I have to admit that at first I thought that was completely unscientific and therefore not at all a valid statement. However, the very next day in Chosica (we spent the night there Saturday and then headed back to Lima Sunday afternoon) the weather changed. About one in the afternoon a little bit of fog rolled in to the city and it became cold (the kind of cold that has been Lima these past two months). Then, to my great pleasure, I woke up this morning around six with the brightest sunshine coming through my windows. I wanted to sleep more and it was difficult with this morning light that had been foreign to me for quite awhile. So, thank God for that earthquake because according to my family (who I now believe on these sorts of issues) the days will be like this or even stronger from now until May or early June! I love the sun.

A few other highlights of my weekend include: getting to play tennis with my brother, sister and Aunt, Swimming with my brother, cousin, and his parents ( one set of my aunt and uncle), entering our dog (Legolas) into a dog contest on Sunday afternoon and getting to see (and pet) a wide variety of cute dogs, and just having some really funny and interesting conversations with members of the family who treat me really well.

I´m going to post more pictures of some of these events described. Until my next entry take care!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting post. did the kids wear costumes that american kids wear? or did they dress up like little chupacabras?! lol

sounds like a fun weekend though plus an earthquake/season change

baby goats?! i don't even know what to say....

Laurie said...

So Michael it sounds like you are getting more comfortable with the language; more fluent?

Yeah I can't wait to see how this election turns out, I hope there are no surprises or dirty tricks.

We had a lot of kids come to the house on beggers night and we went to the Chessers' for their party afterwords. It was fun. On Friday night we went to the Hoot & Howl at church and that was fun as usual. There were a bunch of people because of an article in the newspaper about it so we ended up sitting in the commons. We saw Martha there and she asked about you. You should email her. Chris was in Chicago.

Did you go to a water park in Chosica? I think we saw a picture of someone going down a water slide on Carlos' blog.

So when you get home we will have a great big plate of tamales (from Sam's Club) waiting for you since now you like them.

Glad the weather has warmed up. We have had some great weather the last few days...it's been in the
70's and sunny, real nice. Oh by the way we are back on Standard Time as we turned our clocks back Saturday night and now you are probably an hour ahead of us.
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

The last time that we served tamales (shortly before you left) I think that you tried to sneak them back into the kitchen to rinse them down the drain! Glad to know that we can have them all the time when you get back. It's leaf season here. Sure you can't come back for a short vacation?
Mmm..baby goat. Was that a stew or a pudding? Glad to hear the sun is finally out in Lima.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

don't say pudding mike...don't say it.

Michael said...

Hahaha! Well the goat was neither a stew nor a pudding (that sounds disgusting by the way, baby goat pudding). It was just a piece of meat on the plate with a bone in it. Not my favorite meal (I don´t eat a lot of meat here since it´s kind of chewy). Yeah, just because I had one excellent tamale in a place known for its tamales doesn´t necessarily mean I will like Sam´s attempt to create the same thing and then freeze-dry it. It´s good to hear you´re having nice weather. Andrew you could score a second job raking leaves for my Dad if you need the extra money. Times are tough! Just look at it as good exercise and it´s a win-win, haha!

Nice to hear that Ellie likes the sweet potatos. They are supposedly great for the coat and probably good for her health. How was Mark Gruber and the cast for Hoot n Howl? That´s awesome they got such a great turn out! Did you tell Chris and Martha about my blog?

Oh and as for this year´s Peruvian Halloween costume trends, I think Snow White was very popular this year with the girls and I saw a lot of Spidermans (a classic) running around as well.

Laurie said...

When Martha asked about you I asked if she had seen your blog but she said she hadn't checked it out yet then she wanted to know if you still had the Grandview email account & I told her your email address.

Denise told me last night that Courtney has made a display from your blog to put in the commons so that will be nice for people who don't do computers. It has some of your pictures and blog entries.

Todays the Day! Via Obama!

Laurie said...

Oh and Mark Gruber and cast were great. Mark was "Joe the Plumber" have you heard about him in Peru? And Miranda was Sarah Palin she was really good. Sarah Palin and the Monster (Joel Kinser) had a debate. Really cute!

You've probably had goat before at Uncle Steve's.
Love mom

Laurie said...

Obama has been declared the winner and Tom Coleman is shooting off fireworks.

Michael said...

Nice! Yeah I heard all about Joe the Plumber and I thought it was hilarious. People say his name all the time when they are talking about him in the News (I mean, he constantly gets brought up and no one can just say Joe, so it is funny to hear "Joe the Plumber repeated several times). Sounds like it was a good show. I got home from Lomas last night just in time to see Obama projected the winner. Then I stayed up till about one watching McCain´s speech and Obama´s speech. I felt sorry for McCain when he gave his speech. Obama´s was really inspiring.

Laurie said...

McCain gave a really great speech too, he really is a good man when he's not running for president and just saying anything to get elected.

Anonymous said...

that's the illusion McCain wanted to give. he was going for the "i'm a grandpa" or at least "old enough to be one" affect. but i embrassed him humility quite well actually.
it was a good show! history has been made big time!
hey i didn't know you tried to call...give me notice on here to make sure i am available.
i won't miss it next time!

Laurie said...

"but i embrassed him humility quite well actually."

Hey Andrew, what were you trying to say here?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

well that is actually a typo.
i sarcastically meant to say, "i embraced his humility" ..or.. "i accepted his humbleness" ..or.. "i respected the content of his "thoughtful" speech"

Anonymous said...

Mike! I did it! Just wanted to let you know though.

It was awesome talking to you today and I look forward to filling you in with all the details later.

Stay safe and don't get mugged! (seriously)

Anonymous said...

where are you?? it has been nearly two...two weeks since you've writtin on here! you should probably just call again this weekenda anyway. living history farms race is this weekend. so call at noon or something

Anonymous said...

ALRIGHT! Has anyone heard from Mike? This is my only form of contact with him, since I can't facebook.

Michael said...

Okay, here is what happened. First of all the program I was using to call your cell is messed up now for some reason so I haven´t been able to call. Also I have been really busy lately which I will now blog about.